Sunday, October 05, 2008

Thanks Pa!

Earlier on today I felt like coming to blogspot just to write one thing:
FAILURE.

Fortunately though, I decided to give my dad a call since he's been complaining I havent called him in about a month... :S (Not entirely my fault!! I called a couple of times but he was never home... ><)
so i did just that. and im glad i did.

Dad had a point.

See, I told myself I couldn't do this job because of a number of reasons:
1) I'm going into 3rd year. I shouldnt be spending so much time on this
2) I have a part time job which already takes up so much time!
3) I still haven't finished my work experience!!
4) I don't have the leadership and communication skills. I can take instructions but I can't give instructions. I tend to want to do everything myself.

Well...
Sometime in my life I will have to be a leader instead of a follower. Even as a pharmacist. I mean, don't we have pharmacist assistants? What if i open my own pharmacy? Somehow or rather I will have to lead.
Later on in life, there's little chance for us to make mistakes and learn from that. What better time to learn than NOW when we're students, and best of all, running a student society where mistakes are manageable.

At one point in time I considered being the president because
1) i had ideas
2) i wanted to push myself, and do something out of my box.

Now i have the chance- why not grab it?

I guess I have been a bit doubtful over the whole 'taking over MySA' thing because I'm currently piled on with the assignment and tests that I have not yet studied for. Morever, even before the holidays started I was already worrying about having too many hours of work, and finding time to concentrate on studying for the tests. I was doubting my ability to effeciently juggle my time. I guess deep inside I wanted to show I couldn't do it and thus I could not figure out what steps I have to take to get things started, eventually pushing all the responsibility to someone else.

When you think you can't do something- you can't do something.

So far I've been pretty good at 'thinking I can' and getting things done. So why stop now?

Maybe I just need some time to clear my head, and stop worrying and everything will be fine. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Moreover, as my dad pointed out, being president of the society just means its your job to delegate tasks, and be a leader. You need to understand your aims, and objectives and lead the committee to achieve your goals. You have a job to do, just as any other committee member. No one person is meant to have more work to do than others. I guess...

So perhaps in the end of the day I might just stick with being the MySA president and give up the welfare officer job to someone else...

(I Hope to god I would not regret posting this...)

6 comments:

Yau said...

hey..
just do the work if u think u wanna do it... and think it is good to do so... like ur dad said... its all about knwing what expected of u and u do knw ur responsibilities etc and be firm etc and be a leader and a person that coordinate and make sure all are working! and have a good time management etc so u can have balance for all... anyhow... Good Luck! and i do knw u r able and up for it!! Bless!

Anonymous said...

wow, u have a really supportive dad! my dad would say the opposite! lol

anyways, being a final year student and juggling with many extra curricular activities as well with studies can be a lot to deal with. So, in this instance, you have to list out your priorities from 1 to watever. Then do those at the top of your list. The rest, do it if you have time AND is committed to. :)

But girl, you do have the leadership and communication skills to do it, if you want to. But as every parents' nightmares as it is, studies come first. So make sure you have enough time for your studies first.

Ok ok, i sound like a counsellor here ><
You know where to find me if you need someone to talk to :)

xoxo

conie said...

that's what I thought, you always have leadership qualities.
You know how to direct =)

I think the thing that you fear most is the challenging responsibilities.
You know the rest are always there for you.

Give up the little post and take the president post XD

Ohya! If I can do what desmond did--> forward emails only. I will be so glad to take over that :P

Laurane said...

thanks ppl! appreciate it.

eli- not final year yet. course is 4 years!

conie- um. you'll have to do more than fwd. must write too. still want to change? :)

aLy said...

ROFL its all so funny.. just freakin take the post if u want it already!

conie said...

yaloh!
It's like you wanna marry two men now! =S
Pick one!
The one with money, personality and looks... but he's just a little complicated =)