Sunday, November 30, 2008

Munchies

I almost set off the fire alarm trying to cook last night's dinner... I hate having the electric stove. I can never control the heat properly. It takes forever to heat up, then suddenly burns everything. =.= Anyway, this is last night's dinner which caused my smokey house panic.
After eating it I realised that it's almost exactly the same as 'tau yew bak' but with chicken instead of pork...

NEXT!
I've been looking for recipes that use apples without cinnamon. 2 reasons: I don't have cinnamon at home; I don't like cinnamon much. I know cinnamon goes well with apples... and a little bit is actually quite nice. But whatever.
So I found this recipe through foodgawker one day and it had apples without cinnamon!! So I couldn't wait to give it a try. It originally said to use "Craisins" which I believe are dried cranberries... But I don't have that so I substituted craisins with raisins, and added some lemon juice cuz I figured craisins are sourish (I think i have some of those in my cereal mix).

Presenting: Crepes with Apple and Raisin Compote

Here's my apple!I actually managed to peel it in one piece... but then it broke when i picked it up to move it :( The trick to being able to peel it in one piece I think, is just to have a sharp peeler and an apple with no bruises (cuz it's the bruises on the apple that makes it difficult for the peeler to slide through easily... and thats what causes the peel to break! well, unless you're really bad at peeling in a straight line)

This is while cooking the crepes... I took this picture cuz that's one BIG bubble!! :)

Sorry, I get excited over little things. But that bubble was so cute. The others were just little... Plus I didn't expect any bubbly things in the first place!
So then you roll up the crepes, and pour some apple and raisin compote over it and finish off with some icing sugar just to look pretty for the camera :P


Towards the end of it, I had an idea... why not put the apple stuff inside the crepe rather than over the top??

I kinda like this better. Then you get the flavour of the compote throughout the crepe rather than- Crepe. Apple and raisin. Chew chew chew... then it mixes. Now it's mixed before you start chewing to mix!

NEXT!!

I splurged on some cherries a couple of days ago... Cherries are so expensive. the cheapest I've seen for nice big cherries was $15 per kg. Apples cost about $2.50 per kilo (at the market. I've even gotten apples for $1/kg) The normal price for cherries are $20/kg!! WHY WHY WHY!??? They're supposed to be a local fruit which is IN SEASON! agh.

Anyway... cherries look so pretty.

1 comment:

conie said...

sweet!
Yummy!!
Me like me like!!