Tuesday, October 02, 2007

“Who Am I?”

This is a question I posted on ‘Facebook’ just a while ago.
So far I’ve received two answers, and both said – Laurane. If that’s not you, who are you?
Well, it’s pretty obvious that I’m Laurane. But who exactly is she?
- a person
- a sister
- a daughter
- a teenager
- a student
- a Malaysian
- a Chinese
- a complex organic compound??
But is that all that defines who someone is? I am Laurane. I am all that I have mentioned above, but what makes me different from other people, sisters, daughters, teenagers, students etc.?
Who do people perceive me as?
- A stubborn person?
- A caring person?
- A good friend?
- A bad friend?
- A sensitive person?
- Someone who tries too hard?
- Someone who wants to be everything?
The possibilities are endless.
So who am I? If I cannot answer this question myself, how can others?

Here’s who I think I am.
I think I am considerate, I care for my friends and family, I’m logical, friendly to most people, easy to get along with, positive, a bit messy and a bit unorganized but I know where things are. I am proud of my achievements. I work hard when I need to, I have fun when I can.

But I’m not all that great. I think I need to work on being more understanding. I think I can be a better friend. I sometimes talk too much or in other situations, talk too little. I am sometimes too straightforward and I hurt other people without knowing and I sometimes (but very rarely) hurt people on purpose and don’t feel bad about it. I sometimes judge others before knowing who they really are. I am easily influenced by some things. I’m sometimes very boring- I don’t joke around about silly things for too long. I sometimes take things too seriously. I am quite stubborn, I hate being wrong and I can be quite big-headed at times.

At the end of the day, we are all human and there’s good and bad in everyone. I try to be someone that everyone can get along with but I know that is not possible. So for the time being, I am just being myself and like it or not this is who I am. :)

No comments: