Sunday, October 14, 2007

Love. For Music.


Or mainly just my piano and classical pieces. Not the weird contemporary pieces they usually make us play for the ‘C’ pieces in an exam.

I turned on music from the examination songs CD today and instead of just letting it play in the background like I usually do with other music, I put on my earphones and sat down and actually listened to it. In the freakiest way, all of a sudden my heart started racing and I got the Goosebumps. I imagined myself on the piano playing the pieces, and just like I was on the piano my mind wandered off and I was in a state of complete relaxation…

One of the pieces I did for my exam was by Scarlatti and when that piece was playing on itunes, my mind wandered to my piano teacher’s house as we went through that song over and over again, trying to get my touch, tempo and dynamics right. I remember playing it over and over again at home trying to remember exactly what it was my teacher wanted me to do. I realized then how much I miss my piano back home and how I wished I had a piano here right now. I miss the piano so much I feel like crying. I’m not the greatest pianist on earth, and I can’t play as well as the recordings I’m listening to, but being able to sit at the piano, and tinkle a little something (whether correctly or wrongly) and open any music score and be able to play a few notes from every piece is just a really good feeling. I feel sorry for people who are missing out on it. I feel so fortunate that I was able to do that every single day. No matter how much I am concentrating on a piece to make sure I get everything about it correct, being on the piano always lets my mind wander off, and it’s the perfect way to relax. Of course not many people know that it’s completely relaxing and after that I usually pretend I’m tired and need a rest before actually going on to do some schoolwork. :) (mum doesn’t know…)

I can’t wait to get home. But um… where is my piano anyway? With all the moving of stuff I’m not sure where it is… need to make a mental note to ask mum where it is!

The closest thing I have to a piano now is a computer keyboard. Which is NO WHERE NEAR!

see, it makes people happy. we're all smiling! :) and thats my beloved piano

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

laurane! ohmygosh i was just going to post about something very similar! obviously i'm nowhere near as accomplished a musician as you are (ha...) but today i went to the brown university orchestra fall concert and it just made me miss music so much. the goosebumps came back...ohh there was this pianist who did the rhapsody on a theme of paginini - i know you will be familiar with the theme; you have to listen to it! anyway i guess you will have to look forward to december when you can be reunited with your piano, and me, with my flute...